Monday, June 18, 2012

Windows, Doors, Siding, etc

This week's work was made up of some smaller jobs.  Windows and the passage door just took a few hours.  The garage door framing and assembly took a day.  The remainder of the time was trim and siding work.  Oh, and putting in a floor in the "attic" space.

Without much more talk, here's the photos.
Here's a photo of the grass that I've been neglecting.  And I guess I caught to cute kids in the photo too.
ThermoTru door.  Simonton windows (nice quality, all vinyl, less than half the cost of Pella ProLine)
I was planning to use plywood for the floor of the "attic", but I got some nice, thick 23/32 tongue/groove OSB for less.
The floor is 10' x 35'.  I just wanted to get enough in so that the bottom chords of the trusses were tied in so I could attach the garage door hardware.
Finally I can work in the shade...but will this truck even fit in the door?

Windows went smoothly...except for when the kids distracted me and I started to install one outside-in.
 
This is the south-facing 'passive solar' wall.  These are high solar heat gain coefficient windows. 
We'll see how well they heat.

Garage door hardware.  I got the 600 series Haas doors and the quality is excellent.

My favorite thing about the doors is that they're insulated (R13.67 actually) and have a steel inside surface so they're really rigid.  This photo is actually looking at the back of the door panel.
Temporarily hanging the rails.

The ubiquitous bubbles.

Adding the 'bird box' details to the trim.

This will all get capped with aluminum.  Maybe next week.
I started work on the siding.  This was the hardest side, so I did it first.  One big find was that I used my C3 (rechargeable) trim (circular) saw with the blade on backwards to cut the siding.  This made quick, clean cuts.
Starting to look like a garage!

1 comment:

  1. Hello -
    I am currently working on a construction safety project at Oregon Health & Science University and I would like to use two photographs, which you have posted on this blog, for my safety guide. Please contact me at cannona@ohsu.edu if you are interested in helping me with my project.

    Thank you
    Annie Cannon

    ReplyDelete