Sunday, June 3, 2012

Dormer

It took pretty much all day Saturday to build the dormer.  While the main roof was constructed with trusses, the dormer roof was stick-built.  The slope was the same as the main roof - 6:12.

One factor that made it easier is that, since the dormer isn't intended to be usable space, I could construct it right on top of the roof without worrying about cutting the main roof rafters and with beefy collar ties cutting right across the dormer.

I wasn't sure the best way to start.  I decided to set the ridge beam with a temporary center support to make sure that it was level.  Then I built little trusses on the ground, carried them up, and nailed them to the ridge beam.

There were two pre-build trusses before I had to start doing one rafter at a time. 

Silas organized my wood scraps.

Allie watched while I made the 'ladders' for the eves.

To figure out the line for the roof valley, I finished my fascia into the roof and then traced a line from the fascia to the peak of the ridge beam.  On each end, I laid a test piece of plywood and tucked a scrap of 2x6 material underneath to see how far back from the line the nailer should be to allow the plywood to sit flat (given that the nailer is 1 1/2" thick)  That worked well.  Then I cut the rafters to hit the edge of the nailer.  I set my circular saw to match the slope of the roof (about 27 deg).  Of all the crazy math classes I've taken, it's the basic geometry and trig stuff that seems most useful.  I have to admit to a little algebra here and there too...but not on this project.

I'll probably take out the vertical support that can be seen in the middle of the dormer...but the collar tie will stay.  There is a double 2x6 header/collar tie in the front wall.

What a messy work site!  By the end of the weekend, I cleaned up a bit.

Here it is more or less finished.  You might notice that the front wall is a gaping hole.  Well, that's because I still don't know what kind of windows I'd like to use.  I think I'll end up making them by hand to kind of match the windows in the garage doors...but I haven't committed yet.  When I know what I'm doing, I'll build the front wall and it will look a lot more closed in.

Getting ready to roof.  I applied the ice/water shield along all the eve edges and in the roof valley. I had been pretty bummed that I had the shingles delivered to the ground, not to the roof... but actually, it only took 10 minutes to carry up the 20 bundles for this side of the roof.

I did get some roofing done, but no photos are available due to an abrupt end to my work amidst what seemed like 50mph gusts of driving rain.

1 comment:

  1. Very informative article. The above are the min roof was constructed with trusses,For more details about roof you can view here. There are many types of materials used for roofing, JSW color coated Sheets is one of them. If you want the roof to withstand for a long time then you can also consider placing colour coated roofing sheets price.

    ReplyDelete